In this episode, I’m joined by our special guest Rhea Wong, a former executive director turned entrepreneur and the host of the Nonprofit Lowdown Podcast. Join our discussion today to learn more about Rhea’s journey in the nonprofit space, various aspects of successful fundraising, and how to shift your fundraising mindset.
In this episode:
- [4:39] Fundraising is not about money
- [10:04] The scarcity mindset: What it looks like and how an organization can shift to an abundance mindset
- [14:03] How to utilize the art of storytelling to move beyond desperation and effectively communicate your organization’s needs
- [21:54] Why you should develop a strong relationship with your donors
- [28:45] Take your fundraising to the next level by mastering the art of active listening
- [32:13] The importance of involving the CEO in the fundraising process
“A big piece that I would say is number one, and I made this mistake early on is thinking that fundraising is about the money. It’s not about the money. It’s about relationships. It’s about trying to help people, change the world, and build the legacy that they want to build. And that money is part of that journey, but we confuse the journey with the money.”
“Every piece of communication you put out should be about building trust. Because ultimately, trust equals donations.”
“People want to be known, they want to be seen. And as fundraisers, I think we have to open this space for people to tell us who they are and what they’re about, and what lights them up or doesn’t. What makes them mad or doesn’t? It’s almost like therapy.”
CONNECT WITH RHEA
Rhea Wong is a former executive director turned entrepreneur. She’s the author of Get That Money, Honey! and the host of the Nonprofit Lowdown Podcast. Rhea trains nonprofit leaders to fundraise more money from high-net-worth donors.
LinkedIn: Rhea Wong
CONNECT WITH HALEY
Haley is a Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE), Certified Stress Management Coach, and Certified EmC train the trainer. She is the Founder of The Savvy Fundraiser, a nonprofit consulting and coaching business. She has worked in both small and large nonprofit teams in the human services, homelessness, and youth sectors; and she specializes in the EmC process, nonprofit leadership, board development, and fundraising. Haley is a passionate, impact-driven, experienced nonprofit professional whose mission is to empower, elevate and engage nonprofit leaders to build healthy, thriving organizations.