Hello everyone and welcome back to the Lead with Heart podcast. I am so excited and honored to have Jordana Merkin from Voice for Good with me today. We’re talking all about creating internal clarity at your nonprofit to improve the effectiveness of your external marketing.
After a decade of in-house nonprofit marketing, Jordana founded Voice for Good to bring her insider knowledge and outsider perspective to help growing nonprofits clarify their messaging to connect to those who matter most to achieving their mission.
In this episode:
- [01:55] Jordana’s career history
- [04:46] How internal clarity within an organization contributes to the effectiveness of external marketing efforts
- [08:50] How to amplify the big picture message while still showcasing individual programs
- [14:34] Equipping a board to be ambassadors on behalf of your organization
- [18:34] Emotionally connecting people to your mission through storytelling
- [24:35] The primary emotions that lead people to action
- [27:42] Practical tips for nonprofits to successfully communicate their story and key metrics they can use to track their success online
“You need to have a strong message at the core of your marketing because otherwise, you’re amplifying a hollow message.”
“It’s important to have that clarity internally, whether you have a team of three or 30, or 300, because you really all need to be using the same language to share the same message.”
“When you’re aware internally of that big picture story, it’s really that reminder also that you’re all on the same team, working toward that same goal. And that’s how you’re going to really connect with people externally around that goal too.”
CONNECT WITH JORDANA
Jordana founded Voice for Good to partner with nonprofits that don’t have a dedicated marketing team or staff member in-house. Through meaningful messaging guides and strategic marketing plans, she equips staff with the tools and knowledge to share stories in a way that raises awareness and funds to fuel your mission.
LinkedIn: Jordana Merkin
CONNECT WITH HALEY
Haley is a Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE), Certified Stress Management Coach, and Certified EmC train the trainer. She is the Founder of The Savvy Fundraiser, a nonprofit consulting and coaching business. She has worked in both small and large nonprofit teams in the human services, homelessness, and youth sectors; and she specializes in the EmC process, nonprofit leadership, board development, and fundraising. Haley is a passionate, impact-driven, experienced nonprofit professional whose mission is to empower, elevate and engage nonprofit leaders to build healthy, thriving organizations.
LinkedIn: Haley Cooper, CFRE